Monday, April 27, 2020

Picking Up Where I Left Off

On countless Sundays during church service, the Holy Spirit convicted me that I needed to get blogging again. Usually, by Monday morning, the cares of this world would clutter my mind and I would forget about that conviction.

What finally gave me the shove back into motion was when I discovered the work of William Strauss and Neil Howe on generational theory. Even though it's secular research, from people I disagree with on important issues, I recognized truth within the theory. Immediately, I began pondering how generational theory lined up with what I know from the Bible.

I came back, blew the dust off Seven Thunders and started a series of articles exploring generational theory. I started with the generational archetypes that Strauss and Howe identified. My plan was to finish those, then begin exploring the generational seasons ("turnings," eras, epochs, etc.) and how they might fit into Biblical patterns and prophecy. I wrote one post about what I call the Barn-Raiser archetype (Strauss & Howe call it the Civic or Hero) and another post about the Custodian (called the Adaptive or Artist) archetype.

But using WordPress, and making it do what I wanted, was a pain. I want to spend my blogging time expressing ideas, not wracking my brain tweaking themes, layouts, format, etc. Plus, nearly all my old followers were gone after I'd gone dark since 2015. I'm starting over almost from scratch, so I might as well move to Blogger, which is much easier to use.

I started the series on generational theory on the old blog, but am continuing it here. I expect there will be at least another seven posts in the series. But maybe more--I'm constantly learning new things from the Bible, and I've only just started Strauss/Howe's first book on generational theory. I don't know where or how far this "rabbi trail" will take me.

When I look back on some of my old posts, it becomes obvious that I've changed my mind about some subjects. Either I was wrong then, or I'm wrong now. Point being: I am far from infallible and have no doubt I will be wrong about something again. I see this blog as a diary of my journey toward deeper truth. I apologize in advance for any wrong turns along the way.

1 comment:

  1. I get it. I'm an x'er too. The secret, I've found, to avoid nihilism is to realize everyone has been sold a bill of goods. The boomers are never really happy because people who's world revolve around themselves can't be. Millennials aren't because they don't know to not follow someone else, having never learned to fail, though they do all the time. Success is what the bankers convince you to buy on credit. Contentment comes when you realize how little you really need, how easy that is to keep and that life is happier that way. As Paul said, "I have had both plenty and been in want, but in all situations I have learned to be content."

    ReplyDelete